PDA

View Full Version : Asian Games GUANGZHOU

Degrian
11-23-2010, 01:00 PM
GUANGZHOU: Pakistan captain Khalid Latif smashed the first century of the Asian Games cricket tournament on Monday as the favourites crushed China by 128 runs to reach the semi-finals.

The 24-year-old opener hit an unbeaten 103 in 69 balls which featured eight fours and five sixes as Pakistan made 183-1 off their 20 overs with Sharieel Khan making 46.

It was China's second successive defeat in the tournament, having lost to Malaysia by 89 runs, and ended their brief, first flirtation with international cricket.

China never recovered from their precarious position of 11-4 when they started their reply while five of their batsmen were bowled as they failed to cope with Pakistan pace and direction.

Only Li Jian reached double figures, making 14 with three confident fours.

Raza Hassan took 3-10 while Aizaz Cheema finished with figures of 3-15 for Pakistan.

Latif said he hoped success at the Games would help resurrect his international career with the 2011 World Cup starting in South Asia in February.

"I wasn't expecting this. I played well in domestic matches and now here with the national team," said the skipper, who has played in five one-day and five Twenty20 matches.

"I did well because the Chinese bowling was not good. I definitely hope that my performance here will help me get back into the national team."

China captain Wang Lei described Pakistan as a "champion" team.

"We did our best, but we really need time. That will enable us to get better in cricket. Hopefully, we will have more opportunities to play against top teams," said Wang.

Pakistan will likely to be joined in the semi-finals by Bangladesh and Afghanistan with Malaysia, Hong Kong, Maldives and Nepal all hoping to grab the final last-four place.

Degrian
11-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Fired-up Pakistan annexed the Asian Games men's hockey gold medal after 20 years with a convincing 2-0 win over Malaysia in the final on Thursday.

Veteran Sohail Abbas put Pakistan ahead with his team's first penalty corner in the 26th minute, before striker Rehan Butt increased the margin three minutes after half-time.

It was Pakistan's eighth Asiad hockey gold, ending a drought that stretched back to Beijing in 1990, and handed them their first major title since winning the World Cup in Sydney in 1994.

Pakistan ended the year on a high after a disappointing eight-month period in which they finished a humiliating last at the World Cup in March and took sixth place at the Commonwealth Games in October.

The Pakistanis kneeled in prayer after the final whistle, before lifting their Dutch coach Michel van den Heuvel over their shoulders to loud applause from the stands.

Pakistan captain Zeeshan Ashraf said he was at a loss for words to describe his feelings at winning a long-awaited title which gave his team a direct entry to the 2012 London Olympics.

"It's our turn to celebrate," said Ashraf. "Taking the gold after 20 years was important, but I am happier that we have also booked a place in the Olympics.

"What can I say about my team? They were just brilliant. We came here to win and achieved our target. Hopefully the past will be forgotten.

"Our country is facing so many problems that it needs moments like this to celebrate. I am sure our win would have brought smiles on the faces of all Pakistanis."

Malaysia, often dubbed the sport's perennial under-achievers, had to settle for silver in their maiden appearance in the title clash after winning the bronze medal six times.

The entire Malaysian team, barring Sikh player Baljit Singh, shaved their heads in a practice called 'nazar' to ward off evil spirits in the final, but failed to produce the spark that won them the semi-final against India.

Amin Rahim, whose two late goals sank India, faltered in all three penalty corners his team earned in the second half.

Malaysia had gone into the final as the only unbeaten team in the competition with four wins and a draw.

"It is disappointing to lose," said striker Faisal Saari. "But look at it this way - we won six bronze medals earlier, now we have taken the silver.

"I am sure we can only get better after this."

Meanwhile, India returned to the Asiad podium after missing out in Doha four years ago when they defeated favourites South Korea 1-0 in the bronze medal play-off.

Tushar Khandekar netted the winner four minutes into the second session as India dominated the lacklustre Koreans through the 70-minute encounter.

India had not won an Asiad hockey medal for the first time in Doha and paid the price when they failed to qualify for the Beijing Olympics two years ago.

Degrian
11-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Pakistan won the Asian Games men's squash team gold medal Thursday by beating Malaysia 2-0 in the final.

India and Hong Kong won the bronze medals.