PDA

View Full Version : Business What To Avoid During A Job Interview

waseeb
07-05-2010, 06:57 AM
What To Avoid During A Job Interview
During the entire job hunting process, the most significant and tricky stage is the interview. Candidates feel anxious and nervous before and during the interview process and cannot rest unless they have heard back from the company. For some this phone call brings a sense of achievement with the news that they have been selected for the job, but many receive no calls at all conveying that they have failed to land the job. There might be many reasons why a candidate fails to get the job, most of which are related to the interview process. Many candidates are under the impression that they did well in the interview and are devastated when they are rejected. The fact is that most of the candidates have no idea that during the interview session they might have committed some grave mistakes which cost them the job. These mistakes are so common that most of the candidates repeat them over and over again without realizing the damage they are doing to their career. If you think you are one of those candidates, there is no need to panic as we have identified some of the most common mistakes made by candidates during an interview so that you can avoid them in the future.

Most Common Interview Mistakes:

A lot of people make some serious mistakes during the interview which end up turning a job opportunity into a disaster. In order to avoid making these mistakes we first need to identify these mistakes. Some of the most common mistakes by a candidate during an interview are:
Being Late
A lot of candidates fail to appear for the interview on time and think that they can get away with a lame excuse. Nothing throws the interviewer off like coming late to an interview and then failing to apologize. If you are filing to arrive at the job interview on time, it gives the interviewer an impression that you are not taking the job opportunity seriously and hence is not someone they were looking for. So to make a good impression during the interview you should be there on time. If you fail to do that apologize for the delay and reassure the interviewer that this is not a habitual practice.
Dressing Inappropriately

Dressing right is the most important part of an interview. Assuming that a casual dress might do for your interview is a big mistake. If you have any doubts you can do a little research regarding the company culture and find out what kind of dressing is expected. Nevertheless it is better to be overdressed rather than being underdressed. Also, try to keep the accessories to a minimum so that you look professional.

Being Unprepared

Some candidates show up for an interview without even the slightest preparation and as a result fail to answer any tough questions asked by the interviewer. Not researching about the company you are applying to can also be fatal for the interview. Make sure that when you are appearing for an interview you know what kind of work entails the job that you have applied for and you have a general idea of the company’s background.

Talking Too Much Or Too Little

Talking too much or saying next to nothing is also a mistake we have seen during an interview. You should answer a question completely and then let the interviewer proceed to his next one. Blabbering uselessly and interrupting the interviewer creates a bad impression. Similarly, answering the questions in monosyllables and nor elaborating on anything also leaves the interviewer dissatisfied, thus minimizing your chances of getting a job. It is also important to ask important and well thought questions related to the job. Asking silly questions or not asking any questions at all is not the right approach also.

Badmouthing Your Employer

Nothing raises the red flags more than badmouthing your former employer in front of the interviewer as it points towards a lack of professional maturity and failure to take responsibility. Trying to justify your reasons for leaving the previous employer by criticizing him is a bad idea and should be avoided at all costs. Even if your boss actually was a horrible person, there is no need to share that with the interviewer. Keep your reasons for leaving the last job and your views about your previous boss professional.
Lying

You should never lie during an interview or provide false information on your resume. If you are qualified and skilled enough for the position you have applied for, you will get the job. If however you feel like you are not qualified for the job then you should not apply in the first place, no matter how desperately you want the job. Lying in the interview certainly diminishes your chances of getting the job. Be open about your weaknesses and strong points. When you state you weaknesses make sure that you also point out what steps you have taken to address the particular weakness and how far have you succeeded in the effort.

Lacking Enthusiasm

Appearing disinterested and bored during the interview is one of the most fatal mistakes that can ruin your chances of getting selected for the job. Show the employer that you care about the job and are excited at the prospect of joining the company. If the interviewer senses that you are not interested in the job, he will not call you for a second interview.
Asking About Benefits Too Soon

Bringing in the salary questions too soon and repeatedly raises the red flags as the interviewer senses that you are not very interested in the job as much as the benefits and the money involved in it. You should wait for the interviewer to bring up the salary negotiations as he will definitely ask you about the expected salary range before the interview session comes to an end.

Concluding Thoughts

The entire job hunting process from writing your resume to showing up at the interview and the follow up after that requires a lot of effort and skill. In order to get the job you have to make sure that during all these steps you have put up your best performance. Make sure that you do not make any of the mistakes mentioned above and you will most definitely succeed in the interview process.

bdgogia
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Your article is very good.

During an interview, the boss asked the potential employee - how many senses there are. Five came the pat reply. No, there are six - and the sixth one is common sense. The candidate thus retorted - that way there are are seven - and the seventh is non-sense - that is what you are talking.

bdgogia
07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Personal bias plays a very important role in the selection of candidate for job. During my one interview - long ago - the first question the Personnel 0fficer asked me was which place I belonged to. 0n my replying dgk - he was pleased and told me that he also came from the same place, and that is why he had called me in first of all. Right or wrong such things do play very vital role in final selection - and research shows that the selectors look for the same qualities/traits in the candidates which the consider as good and possess themselves - so a non-smoker or vegetarian prefers such candidates though not relevant for the job profile.

faraz_ameem
07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
jst went 2 day in a friend's firm to take some job interviews from candidates. n I asked them to explain their objective statement. Majority of them was unable to explain it. so always write a simple objective on ur Resume which u can explain and defend during an interview.

bdgogia
07-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Sain - tuaada zamana different hay - the interview where I felt I had not done well, was the one where my ranking was highest, and on removal of doubt/bias I not only got selected but went on to spend 25 years - which today is not a way of life - being ex-Personnel Manager myself - have interviewed thousands of candidates - mostly skilled workers.

In our times - 50 years ago - our knowledge of English language was very very limited - and the most common sentence in all
applications used to be - I shall leave no stone unturned to satisfy you - is now non-existent.